Thursday, July 20, 2017

Of Medals and Honor

Salvatore Giunta was awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroism in Afghanistan. He has raised the bar for devotion to duty.

This is simply great:

At a ceremony in Vicenza, Italy honoring the storied history of the [173rd Airborne] brigade, Giunta pulled out his medal and handed it to the brigade, saying he wanted the medal to be with them: "I want this to stay here in Vicenza, Italy with the 173rd to the men and women that earn this every single day through their selflessness and sacrifice," he told the audience, which was full of young troops.

Outstanding.

I named the fighting vehicle in the story I submitted to the Mad Scientist initiative science fiction contest (about future war) earlier this year after this soldier. I made a good choice. I hope my story sees the light of day.

In related news, the combat suit I described in the entry monitored both the soldier's physical and mental status.

May we always have such soldiers as Salvatore Giunta in our Army and armed forces. The future of the West rests on that hope.